Remember growing up learning about the four seasons and how they change? How animals know when change is coming – Fall to winter, then to spring and summer. Well, it’s that time of year again to prep your home from rodents and other critters wanting to move in. The low country area has its share of rodents: the common house mouse, the Norway rat, and the roof rat, just to name a few. Some interesting rodent facts… It is estimated that the population of rats in the United States is equal to its human population. There are still cases of the black plague reported today. Rodents on average destroy at least 20% of the world’s food supply each year. Mice reach sexual maturity at 6 weeks of age. A nest of mice can breed year round, and under perfect conditions can produce up to 2,500 offspring a year.
Prevention is key for home owners wanting to protect their homes from a rodent invasion. Preferred Pest Control uses several methods to gain and prevent rodent issues in and around your home.
- Inspection and identification of rodents
- Location of harborage areas inside and outside the home
- Closing points of entry using exclusion methods
- Placing bait stations around perimeter of home
Here are some things you can do to help:
- Keep landscaping trim and neat.
- Remove firewood away from you home.
- Clean pet bowls at night – don’t leave unwanted food out.
- Store dry food, pet food, bird seed and cereals in sealed containers.
Please check back soon, as I will go further into our inspection methods. Call today to schedule with our Licensed Nuisance Wildlife team for a rodent proofing quote.
Preferred Pest Control provides the best value for our customers and helps you to protect your home and family.