Happy Fall Ya’ll
Every year since I was a child, I can remember raking leaves outside in the fall. We would rake them into the biggest piles imaginable in our young minds, then we would jump into these piles of leaves. This is just one of the many things I still do this time of year; but, I must say it is by far the most fun!
Fall maintenance to my home has proven itself by preventing problems I wouldn’t normally notice. One of my main focuses in the fall is preventing bugs and rodents from trying to enter my home. The fall months are typically when I have seen increased bug and rodent activity around my home. The cold weather is the driving factor. They just want a warm place to curl up at night too.
The following are several recommendations, which everyone should consider when performing fall maintenance, for the prevention of bugs and rodents from entering your home:
- Make sure your screens on windows and doors are intact and do not have any holes or tears.
- Check the seal around all windows and doors.
- Check for any cracks around the foundation of your home.
- Change exterior lights to the yellow bulbs that are designed to reduce the attraction of bugs.
- Prune any branches or limbs that may hang near or over your home.
- Clean your yard of leaves and debris.
- Clean up after your pests (both inside and outside).
- Clean pet’s food storage and feeding areas.
- Take garbage out to the garbage containers/dumpsters regularly.
- Clean outside garbage and recycling containers and areas where they are stored.
- Keep clutter undeer control inside your home.
- Keep food sealed and contained. Also, keep food prep areas cleaned and tidy.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! However, if these preventative recommendations do not fully keep the pests and rodents out of your home, simply call one of our professionals at (912)236-5135.