Homeowner Tips for Discouraging Termite Activity
The following are tips from Preferred Pest Control, which help you to discourage termite activity in your home. Please note, these measures will not prevent or control infestations.
- Moisture attracts Eastern Subterranean Termites.
- Moisture problems should be corrected as follows:
- Eliminate any standing water and its source.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clean, in good repair and free of clogs.
- Maintain proper ventilation and remove obstructions that prevent access to the crawl space.
- Repair leaky plumbing or any drainage under the house.
- Remove wood (such as scrap lumber, foundation form boards, tree stumps and firewood) from beneath and around the home. Stack firewood off the ground and away from the home.
- Cut back all shrubs/bushes away from the foundation of the home.
- Remove or correct any wood to ground contact.
- To discourage drywood termites, keep the exterior wall painted, in good repair, seal all cracks, and screen all vents.
Like mentioned above, these are tips from us to you to help protect your best investment, your home, from termite activity. Should you see any suspicious signs of termites, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (912)236-5135.