With springtime upon us and the warmer weather it brings, right now is one of the most likely times of the year that you will see eastern subterranean termite swarmers. These swarmers may be a sign that you may have a termite infestation. Termites cause $5 billion worth of property damage annually. Since your home is one of the biggest investments you can make, you should be aware of the risk of termites and the damage they can cause to your property.
Here are 10 tips from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to protect your home from termites:
- Eliminate or reduce moisture in and around the home, which termites need to thrive.
- Repair leaking faucets, water pipes and exterior AC units.
- Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles.
- Replace weather stripping and loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Divert water away from the house through properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of a home for signs of mud tubes (used by termites to reach a food source), cracked or bubbling paint and wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Monitor all exterior areas of wood, including windows, doorframes and skirting boards for any noticeable changes.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Consider scheduling a professional inspection annually. Wood-boring insect damage is not covered by homeowners’ insurance policies.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house.
Do not attempt to treat termites on your own – use a licensed pest control professional. Since real estate can be one of the largest investments you will make in your lifetime, doesn’t it make sense to protect that investment with termite coverage? The value and protection offered by a termite warranty can give you priceless peace of mind. If you see termite swarmers around your home or other evidence of a termite infestation, contact Preferred Pest Control immediately for a free inspection and evaluation.